Monday, February 15, 2010

Geocaching


Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

I am a geocacher in Central Florida. I found my first cache on 4/16/05, it was named I75 Southbound Travel Bug Hotel. After that I was hooked. In almost 5 years I have found 1337 caches in 3 states(Fl,Ga,Al). I like it because I get out in the woods and hike. Every time I think I have been to all the parks in the Tampa area, I find a new one. I placed my first cache on 4/24/05, it was found on 5/19/05 by Isonzo Kaist. It took about 2 weeks to get permission to placed the cache out there. I now have 55 geocaches placed around Pasco & Hillsbrough Co. Most of them are in the Cypress Creek Well Field in Wesley Chapel Florida. Six of my caches have been archived and are no longer active. I have released 5 Travel Bugs, 3 appear to have vanished, 1 went to Alaska and came back. I have already picked that one up. The other one is in the hands of Team Dromomania. I purchased a travel coin and I carry it around with me. It has traveled 3,216 miles from cache to cache. It is a lizard Decipher Coin that I am going to hang on to. I will let other people log it when they see me. I have used both Garmin and Magellan GPS. I have seen lots of wildlife hiking in the Tampa Bay Area the most is deer but have seen turtles, Armadillos, pigs, bobcat, Hawks, rabbits, raccoon, Turkeys, alligators, eagles, rattlesnake, cottonmouth, water moccasin, and coral snake. It is the thrill of the hunt. I do not like being out smarted by other cachers. You can see a lot of different things that you might not get to see had you not went geocaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment